Virginia happens to be a university English teacher for more than two decades. She focuses primarily on assisting individuals write essays quicker and simpler.
Want An Improved Grade?
Numerous things have actually changed within the 23 years i have taught university English, but a very important factor has not yet. Pupils nevertheless make the exact exact same errors that are common their documents. We guarantee that in the event that you follow my instructions to eradicate these mistakes on the paper, you are getting a far better grade. Perhaps maybe maybe Not enough time? My recommendations are purchased with the most ones that are important.
Spelling and Grammar
The issue: pupils rush to complete their documents plus don’t use the time and energy to find and fix mistakes which they could effortlessly correct.
The Perfect Solution Is:
- Spell-check your essay making use of your word processing program.
- Use Grammarly to simply help search for mistakes (Bing « Grammarly’ to download the free variation). After making use of this myself for per year, we finally need my students utilize it too as it does get many word that is common mistakes and comma errors.
- Re-read your essay gradually (out loud is most beneficial) from beginning to end. That can help you discover a complete lot of errors and typos that would be missed by the spellchecker.
- Ask some other person to see your essay to take into consideration mistakes. Often a close buddy is able to see one thing you cannot.
Why Fix? Misspelled words and typos inform your teacher you do not care. More to the point, these kinds of mistakes at work inform your employer you are a sloppy worker, and that will make you get passed away over for the advertising (but no body will say to you for the reason that you do not spell check!). Therefore figure out how to be a proofreader that is careful.
Always Always Check Word Useage
The situation: Students compose the real means they talk, making their writing too casual.
The answer: always check your essay to note that you’re not making use of these common terms and expressions which are either:
- wrong sentence structure
- confused terms
- bad term alternatives
- maybe not right for a piece that is academic
To resolve this Forever: Keep a listing of the term errors which you find in your documents, or that your particular teacher has marked on graded essays. Attempt to discover the guidelines. Make sure those words if you use them if not whenever you proofread.
Why Fix? The guidelines of all of the terms are taught in primary college. Perhaps those lessons were missed by you, did not realize, or have a couple of of those that you do not keep in mind. As these are classes taught to small children, it ought to be very simple to help you discover them now. Do your self a benefit and find out your standard mistakes in order that you can easily somewhat enhance your writing for future years.
Common Term Errors
Whenever You Fix Grammar Errors..
Revise Boring, Short and Repetitive Sentences
Problem: Sentences are wordy, boring, and seem the exact same.
Original: The Ebola outbreak is in western Africa. The Ebola virus is lethal. The Ebola virus is frightening to people that are many. People wonder when they will end up the second victims of the virus that is deadly. People do not trust federal government sources that guarantee us the Ebola virus is included.
- Circle every expressed word that you apply to begin a phrase.
- Try to find sentences which have the exact same very first terms, specially if they’re in identical paragraph and change them in one single associated with the after methods:
include a change term or phrase to begin the phrase (nevertheless, despite the fact that, furthermore, in addition, additionally, consequently). See my « change words » chart to get more examples.
Utilize various sentence kinds, like concerns, interjections and commands.
- Which can be actually the many way that is important avoid Ebola?
- We have to work now!
- Remember that as the world shrinks, what are the results in Africa and somewhere else has importance that is great everybody.
Re-arrange the phrase by having an Introductory Element. Basic elements are phrases that can come before the topic of the phrase. Usually it is possible to simply take the end of a phrase and go it to your front side to produce a far more interesting phrase. Do not forget a comma following the Introductory Element.
Western Africa may be the destination in which the Ebola that is deadly virus hit. Wondering in the event that lethal virus will distribute, lots of people are frightened by Ebola. perhaps Not trusting federal federal federal government sources, residents in hard-hit nations are wondering should they or somebody they love could be the next target.
- Combine quick sentences and eradicate repeated terms.
Original: The Ebola outbreak is in West Africa. The Ebola virus is lethal. The Ebola virus is frightening to lots of people.
Re-write: The Ebola that is deadly virus in western Africa is frightening to a lot of individuals.
- Make use of semicolon to mix sentences.
The frightening and deadly Ebola outbreak in western Africa causes individuals to wonder who’ll function as victim that is next furthermore, many individuals do not trust the federal government sources that state the herpes virus is included.
Why changing phrase framework works: when you yourself have sentences beginning with exactly the same term, maybe you are utilising the « subject-verb-object » kind of sentence that English speakers utilize once we talk. Whenever you compose, you don’t need to keep the topic whilst the first term within the phrase. Then when you revise the very first term, your writing automatically appears more expert and intelligent.
Test Revisions: despite the fact that federal federal federal government sources guarantee us the Ebola outbreak in western Africa is likely to be included, many individuals are frightened that they can become the second victims of the virus that is deadly.
Perhaps maybe perhaps Not trusting federal government sources which guarantee us that the Ebola virus is included, many individuals are frightened and wonder if they are going to get to be the next victims of the lethal virus which arises from western Africa.
Check always Commas, Semicolons and Colons
The issue: Commas look when they’ren’t required or are lacking if they are required. Your teacher may compose « comma splice, » « run-on phrase » or « no comma required. »
The perfect solution is: Proofread your paper while taking a look at the Rules for making use of Commas, and Easy Rules for Semicolon and Colon.
Here you will find the Fundamental Comma Rules:
- Work with a comma in a list.Example: James really really loves bananas, apples, peaches, and strawberries.
- Work with a comma before a combination (and, but, or, so, for, yet, nor) if you have a sentence that is fulltopic and verb) before and after the combination. instance: James really loves bananas which can be ripe, buthe doesn’t eat any good fresh fruit that includes spots that are brown.
- Work with a comma after an Introductory Element ( phrase or word) which comes ahead of the topic in a phrase. Instance: In spite of eating a complete bowl saturated in fresh fruit at lunch, James was nevertheless hungry.
- Use commas to mark down unimportant information. Then try saying the sentence without that phrase if you aren’t sure if it needs a comma. Then you should probably use commas if the sentence still custom thesis makes sense. Example: James, who really loves a number of fresh fruit, constantly tries to come beside me whenever I’m shopping during the Farmer’s marketplace, that will be just available on mornings saturday.
2 methods to make use of a Semicolon
- Make use of Semicolon in the place of a period of time to place two sentences together.Example:James constantly goes we always argue over whether to get green, red, or black seedless grapes with me to the grocery store.
- Work with a Semicolon by having a transition term + comma. Example:James constantly goes we usually spend most of our time arguing over which sort of grapes to buy with me to the grocery store; however.
How exactly to Use a Colon
A colon is employed before an inventory, a description or example. Example: James and I also constantly argue about which grapes will be the most useful: red, green or .
Check always Your Quotes and Sources
The situation: students don’t use quotation marks always properly or inform where they got information.
: search for in which you require sources. While you read your paper over, mark the components which were tips that originated in another person. Have actually you told the reader where you’ve got that information? You specially need certainly to cite your supply for facts, data, quotations or any other information that’s not basic knowledge.
place your sources in your paper. The way that is easiest are not for maybe not together with your sources would be to mention for which you got the data in your writing. Here are a few test platforms:
- In Damian Reed’s article, « Where wild birds Fly South, » he states that.
- In accordance with Damian Reed in « Where wild birds Fly South, » the hummingbird does not migrate.
- Hummingbirds do not migrate the moment expected, notes Damian Reed in « Where wild birds Fly South » (Reed 24).